Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Pumpkin Drawing




My goals and intentions were to draw the pumpkin and to get the shadows just right.  I accomplished this by carving out the light parts and darkening in the darker spots.  The thing that surprised me the most about my experience was how the parts of the drawing look really realistic.  I was really surprised that I was able to do this. I think that my drawing is about dramatic shadows.  The first thing I notice when I look at my drawing is the contrast of the dark shadow to the pumpkin.

The most difficult challenge I had to face was not smearing the charcoal and making it dull.  This was a tough thing to avoid because I had to work on sections next to the section I had already done and my hand smeared the charcoal.  To meet this challenge, I had to go back and fix the parts that I messed up.  I experienced the shift to the right side of my brain when I was really focused on my drawing.  When I was focused, I couldn’t hear anyone talking and the only thing I saw was my drawing.


I think my drawing really works in the darkest shadow.  I think that there is a really cool contrast between the dark black and the white.  Something that I learned that I can bring into my next drawing is how to make the drawing more realistic.  I did this by adding light and darkness like I did with the stem.  I learned how to make my shadows a bright white from Laura.  I really like how her dark and light shadows contrast.  Her dark shadows make the white shadows look really white and they pop off the paper.  If I had a do-over, I would make my pumpkin more proportional.  By this, I mean that I would look at the pumpkin a little harder and try to get the shapes exact.  I think that the best part of my drawing is the pieces that come off of the stem.  I think these look really tangled and twisted just like they did on the actual pumpkin.  I think that these make my pumpkin look very realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment